The Ethical Culture Society has an opening for a part-time Director of their Ethical Education Program for Children to serve grades pre-K through 12.
Status: Part time
Hours: 10 hours per week. Specifically, two of these hours will be Sunday morning from 10:15-12:15 when the Ethical Society meets and the Sunday Ethical Education (EE) program is in session. Approximately mid August thru mid June.
Reports to: Head of Staff and Clergy Leader
The Ethical Society EE director provides leadership and inspiration for the education of children and youth. (See our Core Values at the bottom of this post.)
Purpose of Position:
The EE Director is responsible for:
- Marketing our education program to increase enrollment.
- Develop EE program in collaboration with teachers and families.
- The development and maintenance of the EE curriculum.
- Promoting the benefits of community interaction and personal growth for the students.
It is our hope that these efforts secondarily help with the growth and development of the Ethical Culture Movement.
- Communicating regularly with students, families, and the external community to promote the EE program, its classes, projects, and events.
- Developing and maintaining curriculum and lessons.
- Enlisting and training volunteers from the Society to assist and teach.
- Assuring that students, parents, and newcomers are greeted and welcomed at Sunday Platform meetings and related events.
- Meeting regularly with the Leader, Ethical Society staff and others when indicated.
- Preparing the annual budget.
- Communicating with the national American Ethical Union (AEU) EE Director, EE Directors of other Ethical Culture Societies, share programming information, and participate with the AEU EE Committee when appropriate. Travel to participate at the annual AEU EE Conference.
Education and marketing experience is required as well as an understanding of our Core values (see below).
The Ethical Society’s core values are an essential part of the curricula. All lessons emphasize one or more of the 12 core values:
- Ethics is my religion.
- Every person is important and unique.
- Every person deserves to be treated fairly and kindly.
- I can learn from everyone.
- I am part of this earth; I cherish it and all the life upon it.
- I learn from the world around me by using senses, mind, and feelings.
- I am a member of the world community, which depends on the cooperation of all people for peace and justice.
- I can learn from the past to build for the future.
- I am free to question.
- I am free to choose what I believe.
- I accept responsibility for my choices and actions.
- I strive to live my values.
For additional information about the Ethical Culture Society of Westchester please see our website, the American Ethical Union website and find us on Facebook.
Send a cover letter that describes your interest in this position as well as your teaching philosophy and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sunday School Director Position” as the Subject.